I've been going around with my fingers in my ears about this one. Ever since I first heard about it. It started with some article featuring Mark Zuckerberg saying that he's 'nominated' Bill Gates for the Ice Bucket Challenge. I saw it, and just kept scrolling. I had no interest in it then, and even less interest in it now, the more and more I've thought about it.
Most people, on seeing my reaction of "I don't want to see that lalalalala" have been pretty disgusted and exclaim about my lack of empathy for ALS sufferers or that I just don't care about helping other people, which actually couldn't be further from the truth. In actual fact, I'll go to extremes for a friend, relative, a little old lady down the road who needs a hand with something or other. If someone asks me for help, I'll always do what I can. That's my version of the 'ice bucket challenge'. Actually doing things for other people and knowing that what I've done has made some kind of difference. I don't get likes on facebook for it, and don't expect people to follow suit. I know many wouldn't, which is really very sad.
Even sadder, is that many people who throw money at charities don't even know what happens to their money, maybe don't even care. We saw that with the Chinese whispers style error in the no make-up selfie with money flying around to all kinds of other charities. No one had a clue what they were doing.
But I digress. The main charity used in these ice bucket challenge is the national ALS charity. It's actually one of the charities that puts the most money towards its actual cause in America. Sounds pretty good so far? Well, no. Actually no. It's a national charity, so the local charities don't get any additional help, and they're the ones that give back to the local community. The main national charity does more of the research aspect, which whilst necessary doesn't go to any lengths to improve the lives of current sufferers or their families. The other thing is the shocking figures for the national ALS charity's book balancing for 2012. This wasn't a special year or anything, just the most recent figures to be available and reliable. Here's some figures I found for you. Take a look for yourself.
- Total Revenue: $19,690,252
- Total Expenses: $19,796,581
- Salaries and Wages: $4,328,559
- CEO Pay: $297,288
- Travel: $1,171,175
- Professional Fundraiser Expenses: $709,621
In my cynical opinion, whether or not you agree with me, the best things about charities are the job creation that comes with them and the money that they put back into the community via non-charitable spending. If that's what you want to support, then fine, but personally, I'll stick to helping little old Joyce down the road learn how to use a trackpad. At least I know that's one more person in the world who will be able to Skype her relatives in Australia instead of feeling lonely on a Friday night. I may not have spent any money on her, but I'll have given her my time, which to her is much more valuable and appreciated than any money.
No comments:
Post a Comment